Free Professional Development Seminar March 7
Prospective or current employees looking for an edge in landing their next job or getting noticed in the workplace can benefit from an upcoming professional development seminar at Heartland Community College. The free seminar will take place from 6 to 8:15 p.m. Wednesday, March 7 in Room 2210 of the Astroth Community Education Center, located on the College's Normal campus at 1500 W. Raab Road.
Two sessions will be offered, each are designed for a specific audience:
- 6 to 7 p.m. - Emotional Intelligence - This session is intended for displaced workers seeking gainful employment. Attendees will learn about "Emotional Intelligence" (EI) -- a modern buzz phrase employers use that refers to the abilities of their potential employees to perceive, control and evaluate their emotions while at the workplace. Participants will learn key elements of emotional intelligence, explore resources to evaluate current EI level and even ways to improve it.
- 7:15-8:15 p.m. - Selling Your Transferable Skills - This session is intended for those currently working but seeking other opportunities or opportunities for advancement. Participants will learn to properly evaluate the skills they've attained and how those might translate to a job in an unrelated field. The importance of doing an in-depth skills inventory is also covered. Employment coach Larry Butts will offer real world examples of using power words to match occupational skills to available job descriptions.
Registration for both sessions is encouraged. Interested individuals can register online by clicking on the "Professional Development Seminar" link on the Events tab of Heartland's Alumni and Friends website at www.heartland.edu/alumni or by calling (309) 268-8164.
News & Events
- Saturday Testing and Registration January 4!
- Students: Guaranteed Schedule Now in Place!
- New Physical Therapist Assistant Program at HCC
- HCC Receives EPA Distinction
- HCC Alum Pregracke Named CNN Hero of the Year
- Save Money at HCC's Textbook Swap in January
- HCC Offering Manufacturing Fundamentals in 2014
- HCC Designated a Military Friendly School
- HCC Receives Governor's Sustainability Award
- Gain Financial Independence with "Next Step"
- Annual Holiday Light Recycling Drive Underway